Thursday, May 28, 2015

How do you say idjit in Spanish?

That was my question the other night after a young jughead went off the road and took out a good portion of our fence and hedge. Fortunately for the dipstick, he was so drunk, he survived the crash intact and no one was hurt.

He hit a tree about 15 feet up (the car settled on the ground down an embankment) around 2 a.m. He refused to be taken away in an ambulance (didn't want to do a breathalyzer) and came back the next day with a tow truck driver.

When he came up, Miguel and I were outside the gate the next morning and he asked Miguel if I spoke Spanish. Miguel rightly informed him that I spoke enough. He then asked if I knew who his dad was. He rattled off a string of five names (typical here in Costa Rica) and I told him I didn't have a clue. Miguel, who was listening in, didn't have a clue, either.

After talking to him, Miguel and I (and the two driver who we both have met around town before) could tell he was coming off a major bender. The kid said that another car swerved into his path (he told the same story to the editorial department three times and Miguel and the driver--probably trying to practice it for his parents).

Afterward, when we were walking back up to the hotel, Miguel said:

"Not sure how to say this in English, but this kid has a rich mommy and daddy that will pay for him and I don't like it."

The editorial department came up with mama's boy and that seemed to stick.

No comments: