Thursday, April 30, 2009

Chasing the butterfly. . .

No, this isn't a counter-culture reference to opium use. It's actually about a butterfly. One night, while getting ready for bed, a good-sized winged creature swooped down and started flapping madly about the place. At first I thought it was a bat, as we have quite a few of those around here. It turned out to be a good-sized butterfly that had flown into the place at some point. Not wanting to mash the creature, I chased it around, turning off lights in different rooms and closing doors to keep it somewhat penned in. I used my baseball hat to try to herd it, but these buggers are surprisingly quick and agile. Finally, after about 15 to 20 minutes of chasing it around, I trapped it inside my hat with a towel on top to keep it there. I made my way to the door, opened it up and took the towel off of the hat. The butterfly flew out, and stuck to my shirt like glue. It could have saved me a lot of hassle and chase if it had done that way back when. Took a bit to get it off of my shirt, but it finally vamoosed into the night.
The next morning, Lucy found it perched outside on one of the pillars and snapped this picture of it. It stood there for a while before deciding to fly away.

No comments: