Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Snake on the ground. . .

The other night, I walked down to the Rana (Frog) tree house to talk to some guests who had asked about a tour guide. When I got up to their porch, they were all looking at something in the jungle.

"Do you know what kind of snake that is?" They asked.

I didn't, and while we were up nice and high and away from the critter, I had walked maybe 15 feet past it on my way down.

Luckily, I didn't see it on the way, or else I would have turned and ran back to the house screaming. That probably isn't the best impression to give guests.

This is not a picture of the snake that we saw (there is no lens long enough or big enough for me to take a picture) this is as close as I could find on the Web.

It was a Mikan, which is non-venomous. It uses its tail to whip at prey and to defend itself, and can pack a powerful whack.

The one that was slithering through the jungle was at least 3 feet long and was more of a black color with some really bright yellow patterns across its body.

3 comments:

Tippy said...

and you want me to visit you?

Mike said...

That was my first thought, too. That snake erased the powerful lure of your breakfast photos...

Poiduck said...

I feel much better knowing that it's non-venomous ... and that I'm thousands of miles from it ...