Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A first, and hopefully the last. . . .

I went to my first funeral here in Costa Rica on Sunday. Miguel and Gerardo, who are the stalwarts of the maintenance here at Tree Houses, lost their son/brother, when he was electrocuted while working on power lines in the Sarapiqui region.

The church was packed and it was a warm and sunny day. After the funeral was over (Catholic Mass), they placed the coffin in a car and everyone walked to the cemetery, which is just down the road from the hotel here. It was about 1.5 kilometers from the church and with all of the people walking and driving, traffic was backed up for quite a distance.

I couldn't follow the service all that well, as I was in the back and my Spanish isn't nearly good enough to catch the meaning of a Mass, but it seemed like a nice service and there were a lot of tears and condolences throughout the service.

No comments: