Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sometimes, it's best not to joke. . .

The other day, a fellow called in his credit card for a reservation. He had been e-mailing the owner, who handles most of the e-mails for reservations. I asked his name and e-mail address so I could e-mail back a confirmation after the charges on his credit card went through.

He seemed like an amiable fellow, chatty, asking questions and cracking a joke or two. After I got his credit card number and read it back to him, I just wanted to confirm that I had the right information.

Me: "So you live at XXX, 78th Street, Apartment 2B, correct?"

Him: "Uh, how do you know that?"

Me: "I have a gift when I talk to people."

Him: "Errrr." Then dead silence.

I had to tell him that I had his reservation form up on the computer, though I don't think he was still all that entertained.

No comments: