Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Bella Verona



This is Costa Rica. And we're pretty much in the boonies of the country, save for the 20-minute drive to La Fortuna, a very nice tourist hub. So, you wouldn't expect to find truly exceptional Italian food in the area. However, at a place called Bella Verona, we have found food that is truly outstanding. It's owned by Guilano, an Italian fellow who came over from Italy about 15 years ago. He was a chef in Italy, and it shows here.

About two months ago, a gentleman who grew up in Switzerland, was asking about the local restaurants. I told him about Bella Verona. "No! No Italian food in Costa Rica! I grew up 20 miles from the Italian border, and I cannot eat food that is not truly Italian."

Fair enough, I reasoned. However, something happened a day later on the way back from La Fortuna. Perhaps his kids pestered him into stopping at Bella Verona, or maybe he had a morbid curiousity and couldn't wait to pick the place apart. The next morning at breakfast, he came up to me, and said, "Mark, my family and I ate at Bella Verona last night." My eyebrows went up and I asked how it was. "The man is an artiste!" he replied. "His pasta, al dente, is magnifique! Just like when I was growing up."

Bella Verona is more expensive than the average Costa Rican joint, but well worth the trip. We just got back a couple of hours ago and the food is truly specatcular.

The one caveat: Guilano is looking to sell the place. When he goes, who knows what kind of food will be on the menu.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do they make pizza? Do you have any cravings for a nice, delicious pizza?

lu-mar said...

have mercy. . . does bella verona make pizza? definitely, and it does it very, very well. . . guilano has his own wood-fired brick oven for pizza and focacia. . . overall, the pizza isn't bad here in costa rica at all. . . we order from a takeout place once a week, and we would rate it better than domino's and papa john's, for sure. . .