Thursday, July 9, 2009

Gardening 101



This is our attempt at putting together our very first international garden. . . We cleared off a decent-sized chunk of jungle and dug up the ground by pick-axe (no roto-tiller around, unfortunately). . . We got some plants and seeds from Steven at Finca Luna Nueva, an organic farm/hotel not too far away from Tree Houses. We even put in an irrigation system, albeit inadvertently. . . While I was digging out a footpath going from top to bottom of the garden, I noticed that one of the water pipes for the hotel ran through the garden. . . I wisely moved over about a foot and a half, and started digging the trench anew. . . When I was about two-thirds of the way down, I struck water and had a nice geyser going. . . When I stepped back, I had noticed that I was digging crooked with the pick-axe. . . Not to fear, Miguel was around and he got the water stopped to that area, and then we put a vertical pipe and a spigot on it, so now we can water the garden when it's not the rainy season (around November). . .

As for what's in the garden? A lot of it, we're not sure of, but it's a lot of different varieties of lettuce and spinach. . . Steven really knows his plants, and most of the stuff he gave us is over our heads, but it does taste good. . . We also got some chilis and small tomatoes that we cut open to get the seeds out of, and they're already about 2-3 inches high. . . We do have one pineapple plant, and are hoping to plant some watermelons as well. . . Maybe in the future, we will have enough for a salad!

No comments: