Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Slack-jawed, but still have all the teeth. . .



Went to the dentist here for the first time. . . A bit tardy, but who is in a hurry to go to the dentist? Went in for a cleaning and it was just like back home, little bit of pain, little bit of bleeding and a whole lot of spitting. . . Dr. Yorleny Mora did a fine job and only slightly scolded me for chewing tobacco. . . Even got my choice of cherry or mint polish at the end (cherry was pretty good, though I think I'll try the mint next time just for comparison's sake).

Doc Mora is about 20 minutes away from Tree Houses on the way to La Fortuna, kind of in the middle of nowhere. Not sure why she set up a shop there (she also has an office in San Jose about 3 hours away), but she speaks excellent English, so that's a major bonus for me, as I would hate to go in for a cleaning and come out with four extractions because of something I said.

A very nice perk, is that the doc's office is right next to an excellent little soda. After being scraped and de-plaqued, I went over to re-load the deposits on the pearly whites with combo No. 2: Hamburger with ham and cheese, lettuce, tomato and relish, with papas fritas (french fries) that came with a funky sauce of mayonnaise/sour cream/spicy ketchup (very good) and a glass of iced tea. All for 1,800 colones, or $3.

Makes it worthwhile to head to the dentist, methinks.

No comments: