Sunday, May 30, 2010

Two snakes and a crab. . .

Walk into a bar. . . OK, that's what it kind of sounds like, eh? That's just what Keneth and I saw the other day when we were cleaning out the pools.

There are three pools that are fed by a small waterfall. Once the top pool fills up, it fills up the middle one, which in turn then fills up the last one. There are caps on each of the pools, and we unscrew these caps to drain the pools and sweep out the leaves and other jungle detritus that inevitably ends up in the pools.

On this day, while I was cleaning out the middle pool, a small black snake slithered along in the water. I have no idea if it was venomous or not, but I'm a wuss. I avoided it (and I remember reading that baby snakes dump all their venom in the first bite as they don't know how to control it). A few minutes later, Keneth saw a snake up in his pool. Having a shovel, he dispatched of it quickly and it came washing down into the area I was working. Looked like the first, but this one was dead.

Then, as I was sweeping some leaves and muck out of a corner by a rock, a small crab grabbed ahold of the broom and I could actually hear its claws clicking and clacking. We moved it out of the pool into the stream that runs beside the pools.

All in all, an interesting time for wildlife down at the pools. Definitely could have done without the snakes, though.

No comments: