Thursday, June 2, 2011

Going green II

So, the other day I'm using the leaf blower (if I haven't extolled the virtues of this handy device enough in the past, it's a great little invention) and I'm clearing away the leaves, pollen and other detritus that accumulates around the 8 acres the hotel is on.

It's a never-ending battle and thanks to the trusty Echo Blower (gratuitous and wishful endorsement here; thank you Morgan Spurlock) it makes it a 3-hour chore instead of a much longer one with just a rake.

Anyway, as I was going up the driveway and clearing stuff away a brilliant green flashed in the corner of my eye as I blew the rubbish into the drainage ditch. I stepped back (OK, I jumped) and hit it with the blower again. The snake wriggled, moved and inched back to the ditch. I hit it with the blower again, and the critter did the same thing.

Hopped up on adrenaline, I bravely walked closer and proceeded to blow the bugger into the ditch. Then it got hung up on a branch.

Snakes don't get hung up on branches. A closer look revealed that the critter had previously been run over by one of the cars coming/going from the hotel; hence the lack of movement aside from the blower.

Later on, after some research (and some ridicule) I found out it was a non-venomous snake, so the crisis was averted.

No comments: