Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The travails of the jungle. . .

One of the more odious tasks of being in Costa Rica? Talking soccer, or futbol, football, etc.

Of course, everyone down here loves the sport; they love to talk about it, they love to think about it; read about it; watch it; listen to it.

Whenever someone asks if I like football, I reply with an enthusiastic "Si!"

Then they ask my favorite team.

"The Packers? Do they play in Spain or The Netherlands?"

"Have the Seahawks been promoted to the Premier Division?"

Alas, no. They soon realize that I'm a wizened infidel in a land of soccer and sadly shake their heads.

Unfortunately, most folks know of the Giants, Cowboys and Redskins. Luckily for them, being an expert, I can tell them that those are high school teams, not worthy of rooting for.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Boca Juniors!

Just don't tell them we left at halftime.