Friday, October 14, 2011

A Costa Rican Tradition. . .

Here is that when it is someone's birthday, they are either greeted with a shower of eggs or water hose.

It took a while for Lucy and I to grasp the meaning (though Lucy has still yet to be hit), but it is very popular.

This past April, on my birthday, I was hit twice by Miguel, out handyman of all trades. Much mirth was the result on Miguel's part; I got a lot of protein for my follicles.

It entailed a raw egg cracked over the top of my head. Fair enough, it was my birthday.

Miguel's birthday, was last week. Being a creature of habit, Miguel likes to sit in the same spot daily to enjoy his coffee. Naturally, that opened up a door (or bucket) for myself.

While Miguel was enjoying his coffee (and sadly his breakfast) I jumped up and brought down a rope that was attached to a bucket (3-litre water bottle) full of eggs, milk and water.

After the initial shock (and great learning curve for bad Spanish words) Miguel was impressed with the ingenuity, which leaves me a little fearful for next April.

3 comments:

Poiduck said...

so the yoke was on him?

lu-mar said...

indeed, he was left white-faced. . .

lu-mar said...

indeed, he was left white-faced. . .