Sunday, April 25, 2010

A visit to the U.S. embassy. . .

That's how we spent the first few hours of our return to Buenos Aires. With the new visa fee that Argentina is imposing on U.S. visitors (see earlier post) and the fact that they slap a sticker on an entire page of your passport, that left Lucy with just three open pages on her passport. Not a good thing, as some countries won't let you in if you don't have at least one or two open pages.

When I renewed my passport back in the day, I was given 45 or so pages, as I had gone to the embassy in Kathmandu, Nepal, to get more pages added when I was traveling throughout Asia. Lucy, though, when she was issued her first passport, got just the standard 20 or so pages. With all of the travel we've been doing, she was running short. We didn't realize it until we were flying down to Argentina. Hence, a detour to the embassy, which is right across from the Argentina zoo.

We arrived around 1 p.m., but the section we needed to visit was closed until 2:30 p.m., which was not a big problem, as we were starved, so we hiked up the way and had some lunch and then wandered back. The whole process took about an hour and didn't cost anything, and things went smoothly.

For the record, I still have 16 open pages, and since my passport expires in 2012, I didn't bother getting anymore, as I should be fine until then.

No comments: